KENGEN HISTORY The Kenya Electricity Generating Company, KenGen, has a history that dates back to 1954. In this year, The Kenya Power Company (KPC) was registered as a company and commissioned to construct the transmission line between Nairobi and Tororo in Uganda as well as to develop geothermal and other generating facilities in the country.
The Nairobi - Tororo line was to transmit power generated at the Owen Falls Dam. Since its inception, the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC), to which it sold electricity in bulk at cost, managed the company, under a management contract.
In January 1997, the management of KPC was formally separated from KPLC as a direct result of the new reforms being undertaken in the energy sector and the entire economy.
The terms of restructuring of the power sector effectively resulted in a separation of functions, with KPC responsible for power generation and KPLC for Transmission and Distribution.
On October 2nd 1998, KPC was re-launched under a new name and corporate identity, The Kenya Electricity Generating Company Ltd.- KenGen was born.
KenGen, at its launch hence took charge of all publicly owned power generating plants.