SOSIANI POWER STATION
Sosiani Power station is located 25KM west of Eldoret Town on River Sosiani. The station was commissioned in 1955 and named after its White Settler owner 'Selby' Gilbert, Gilkes and Gordon Ltd. of England supplied the Two Units with a total installed capacity of 400KW. The units are Horizontal Pelton Wheel type. A small dam constructed on river Sosiani allows diversion of water to the plant via a headrace Channel, Head pond and Surface Steel Penstock. The total head to the Pelton Wheel Turbines is 135ft(41M).
The units generate at 2.75 KV via a main TX where it is stepped up to 11KV and transmitted to a KPLC substation at Rivatex where it joins the grid. The power is also stepped down from 11KV to 415V via a station TX that is on KPLC side for powerhouse use and the camp facility.
Kengen has automated the station over the times which includes replacement of a manually operated main inlet spear valve with a motorized one, installed Modern Control panels which ensured automatic Synchronization of the units and also Protection system for the units and also mounted some bearing temperature probes which have alarm and trip signals as in the past it was being detected by feel of hand. This greatly improved the station as it reduced the number of staff and also minimized rate of bearing failure hence making profits. The units are normally stable and achieve a plant availability factor of over 95% annually with a steady annual generation of over 2,800,000 KWH.