Kenya Electricity Generating Company Limited, KenGen, is a limited liability company, 70% owned by the Government of the Republic of Kenya. It is the leading electric power generation company in Kenya, with an installed capacity (name-plate rating) 1631 Megawatts (Mw) and a market share of 70% from a mix of hydro, geothermal, wind and thermal generation sources.
Reporting to the Managing Director & CEO, the Company Secretary & Legal Affairs Director will provide Board secretarial services and will be the principal legal counsel to KenGen who provides legal advice and ensures legal compliance with regard to KenGen‘s operations, management of shareholders and bond holders; property management and insurance risk as well as advise on dispute prevention and resolution while ensuring value for money. S/He will also act as a key link between the company and its shareholders, and selected government and regulatory authorities.
1. Lead, oversee and coordinate the delivery of effective Board secretarial, legal, property management, insurance , shares and bonds services to the company;
2. Provide advice to the Board and management on compliance with best practice corporate governance and the established corporate governance framework as prescribed in law, company policies and the code of conduct;
3. Act as the legal custodian of KenGen’s Company seal, legal documents, Board and Board Committee minutes; maintain the statutory registers including the shares register and periodically file returns with the Registrar of Companies, Capital Markets Authority and NSE;
4. Convene and conduct Annual General Meetings (AGMs) in accordance with the law;
5. Provide legal advisory services to all areas of the business with regard to commercial contracts, disputes resolution, compliance, procurement, securities, regulatory and employment issues, along with other areas of potential risk to the business; exercise independent legal judgment, provide direct legal advice, support research on corporate and securities, environment, tax, real estate, energy delivery and wholesale/energy services matters;
6. Ensure KenGen has the property it requires, the legal right to that property and that the property is then safeguarded;
7. Establish efficient and effective insurance policies to protect KenGen’s assets and earnings at the least cost possible;
8. Ensure all company contracts and agreements safeguard KenGen’s interest and protect the Company from contractual risks;
9. Prepare briefs for the Executive management meeting and Board papers on policy proposals for presentation to the Executive Committee; and
10. Coach, mentor, and develop talent to ensure excellent delivery and performance.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized University;
• A Post Graduate qualification in Law from the Kenya School of Law;
• An Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
• Valid membership to the Law Society of Kenya
• Certified Public Secretary of Kenya CPS (K);
• Valid membership to the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya (ICPSK);
• A Master’s Degree in Law, Business, and or a related field is an added advantage;
• Minimum ten (10) years’ experience with at least five (5) years spent at senior management level in significant organisation (s) with similar complexity as KenGen;
• Understanding of the workings of Capital Markets Authority and Nairobi Securities Exchange is an added advantage;
• Excellent leadership competencies including analytical skills, excellent organization and coordination skills and ability to make difficult decisions; and
• Experience working with local and global stakeholders as strategic business partner, stakeholder and/or shareholder.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including: Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations; Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board; Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority; Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission; and Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role above, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae, including among other details your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
To be considered, your application must be received by not later than Friday, 09 February 2018 addressed to:
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
Waiyaki Way Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
For more details on KenGen and job description for this role, please log on to http://www.kengen.co.ke/jobs/