A new generating machine was installed in in 2013 replacing the old one which was installed in 1930. This increased the rating of the plant to a capacity of 0.43MW up from 0.38MW. The new machine was installed by Gilbert Gilkes, UK who were also the original manufacturer of the 1930 plant. The turbine type is horizontal Francis and draws water from Maragua River. The station is situated in Murang’a County , just upstream of Wanjii power station. This is a run-of-river plant with a small intake on Maragua River. The source of Maragua River is the Aberdare forest.