Tana power station is situated in Murang’a County 82km from Nairobi. The old power plant was retired in 2010. Details for the old plant were as follows;
• Two units each 2MW installed in 1933
• One unit 2.4MW installed in 1953
• Two units each 4.0MW installed in 1955
The new power plant was commissioned in 2011.
• Installed Capacity: 2 x 5.5MW &
2 x 4.5MW
• Year of Commissioning: 2011
• Turbine type: Vertical Francis
• Manufacturer: UCM Resita, Romania
• Contractor: Farab Energy & Water Projects Ltd, Iran
• Engineer: Fichtner, Germany
The Tana Power Station lies just upstream of the confluence of the Sagana and Maragua Rivers to form River Tana. The bigger units draw water from Sagana River while the smaller units use water from Maragua River. This is a run-of-river plant with small sized dams having low water storage capacity: Merila dam on Sagana River and Maragua dam on Maragua River.