Who We Are
The Drilling department has been drilling in the Olkaria and Eburru Geothermal field since 1959. We have drilled more than 300 wells in the Olkaria and Eburru Geothermal field. We own and operate three rigs: two 2000HP Electric Land drilling rig with a capacity to drill up to 7000M and one 550Hp Mechanical drilling rig with a capacity to drill up to 2200M.
The Department has developed a pool of knowledgeable, professional and experienced staff, capable of operating and maintaining geothermal drilling equipment at internationally acceptable levels. The department has a team of 32 engineers responsible for various drilling services, each with an average of about 10 years’ experience. Our services are tailored to meet the varied needs of our clients. Our specific areas of expertise include but are not limited to:-
Well design and supervision of drilling services
- Aerated drilling services
- Directional drilling services
- Fishing services
- Mud Engineering Services and material
- Mud Logging Services
- Casing running services
- Cementing services
- Wellhead Assembly
- Rig maintenance services
- Design and maintenance of drilling water pipeline
- Earth moving and trucking equipment maintenance and operation
Some of the notable projects that the Department has undertaken to date are:
- Drilled over 300 wells at Olkaria geothermal field. This entails provision of materials and all drilling services including directional drilling, well logging, well cementing, well testing and reservoir management. The wells are currently producing steam for several power plants producing a total of 630MW.
- Supervision of drilling of eighty (80) wells; well drilling, casing, cementing, directional drilling, procurement of drilling material and drill string inspection, full well logging and well testing services in Olkaria geothermal field by Greatwall Drilling Company.
- Provision of Drilling Services (Well drilling, casing, cementing, well logging, well completion, well testing and rig movement services) for two (2) Geothermal Wells in AKIIRA One Geothermal Ltd in 2015
- Provision of the drilling rig and all associated Drilling services for the drilling of exploration geothermal wells in Tulu Moye Geothermal field in Ethiopia.
- Provide Drilling, geological and reservoir management services to Ethiopia Electric Power Company for drilling of the first eight (8) geothermal wells in Aluto geothermal field.
- Drilling of Geothermal wells for Olkaria VI and VII geothermal plants in the Olkaria Geothermal field by the three KenGen rigs.
Quality, Safety and Environmental Policy Statement
As a department we are committed to providing highest quality, safe and sustainable services to our clients. In order to achieve this, we are continually improving processes and services, meeting and exceeding customer satisfaction at all times. The implementation of the quality, Safety and Environmental Policy is the responsibility of all staff members. As such the departmental has the following certifications:
- Environmental Management System (ISO 14001:2004)
- Quality Management System (ISO 9001:2008)
- International Well Control Certification (IWCF)