Who we are
Who we are:
KenGen drilling operations in Olkaria and Eburru Geothermal fields began with two exploration wells way back in May 1956. We have since drilled a total of more than 300 wells in these two fields. We own and operate a total of three rigs: two 2000HP Electric Land drilling rig with a capacity to drill up to 7000M and one 550Hp Mechanical drilling rig with a capacity to drill up to 2200M. Among the drilling certifications attained is the International Well Control Certification (IWCF).
The Department has developed a pool of knowledgeable, professional and experienced staff capable of operating and maintaining geothermal drilling equipment at internationally acceptable levels. The department prides itself in a team of 32 engineers responsible for various drilling services each with an average of about 10 years of experience. Our services are tailored to meet the varied needs of our clients. Our specific areas of expertise include but are not limited to:
- Well design and supervision of drilling services
- Aerated drilling services
- Directional drilling services
- Fishing services
- Mud Engineering Services and drilling material supply
- Mud Logging Services
- Casing running services
- Cementing services
- Well control and Wellhead Assembly
- Rig maintenance services
- Design and maintenance of drilling water pipeline
- Earth moving and trucking equipment maintenance and operation
Testing of OW-X2 Sep 1971
Some of the notable projects that the Department has undertaken to date are:
- Drilled over 300 wells at Olkaria geothermal field. This entails provision of materials and all drilling services including directional drilling, well logging, well cementing, well testing and reservoir management. The wells are currently producing steam for several power plants generating a total of 707.308Mw
- Supervision of drilling of eighty (80) wells; well drilling, casing, cementing, directional drilling, procurement of drilling materials and drill string inspection, full well logging and well testing services in Olkaria geothermal field by Greatwall Drilling Company.
- Provision of Drilling Services (Well drilling, casing, cementing, well logging, well completion, well testing and rig movement services) for two (2) Geothermal Wells in AKIIRA Geothermal Ltd in 2015
- Provision of Drilling services for the drilling of exploration geothermal wells in Tulu Moye Geothermal field in Ethiopia.
- Provision of drilling, geological and reservoir management services to Ethiopia Electric Power Company for the first eight (8) geothermal wells in Aluto geothermal field.
- Drilling of Geothermal wells for Olkaria VI and VII geothermal plants in the Olkaria Geothermal field by KenGen owned drilling rigs